Schedule for 2017/18
We’re now in a position to announce the all-new monthly Black Archive schedule for 2018.
It sees the return of Simon Bucher-Jones and Paul Driscoll, who wrote our popular volumes on Image of the Fendahl and The God Complex, and the first Black Archives from Doctor Who tie-in authors Ian Potter and Una McCormack. A triptych of books will cover the three-part 2015 season finale, Face the Raven, Hell Bent and Heaven Sent, while our celebratory 25th volume will examine the 1996 Doctor Who TV movie.
Meanwhile, Alan Stevens’ book on The Daleks’ Master Plan has proved to be a longer-term project than we all anticipated, so will not be published in November 2017. Instead James Cooray Smith, whose Black Archive volume on The Massacre was rightly singled out for critical praise in our early reviews (and who will be joining Philip Purser-Hallard as range editor from 2018), is bringing his faculties to bear on ‘The Ultimate Foe’, the final two episodes of The Trial of a Time Lord. Alan’s book will be rescheduled for publication at a later date.
By the end of 2018 we will have published on stories featuring every ‘official’ Doctor except the War Doctor (but including the Shalka Doctor, bringing the total to 13). We’ll have delved into the majority of seasons of both 20th and 21st-century Who, and looked at the work of 20 Doctor Who scriptwriters from David Whitaker through to Steven Moffat.
Here’s the full schedule, from next month through to the end of 2018:
• March 2017 – The Black Archive #10: Scream of the Shalka by Jon Arnold
• May 2017 – The Black Archive #11: The Evil of the Daleks by Simon Guerrier
• July 2017 – The Black Archive #12: Pyramids of Mars by Kate Orman
• September 2017 – The Black Archive #13: Human Nature / The Family of Blood by Naomi Jacobs
and Philip Purser-Hallard
• November 2017 – The Black Archive #14: The Ultimate Foe by James Cooray Smith
• January 2018 – The Black Archive #15: Carnival of Monsters by Ian Potter
• February 2018 – The Black Archive #16: The Twin Dilemma by Gordon Ridout
• March 2018 – The Black Archive #17: Full Circle by John Toon
• April 2018 – The Black Archive #18: Marco Polo by Dene October
• May 2018 – The Black Archive #19: The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit by Simon Bucher-Jones
• June 2018 – The Black Archive #20: Face the Raven by Sarah Groenewegen
• July 2018 – The Black Archive #21: Heaven Sent by Kara Dennison
• August 2018 – The Black Archive #22: Hell Bent by Alyssa Franke
• September 2018 – The Black Archive #23: The Curse of Fenric by Una McCormack
• October 2018 – The Black Archive #24: The Time Warrior by Matthew Kilburn
• November 2018 – The Black Archive #25: Doctor Who (1996) by Paul Driscoll
• December 2018 – The Black Archive #26: The Dæmons by Matt Barber
Obverse is, as ever, extremely privileged to be publishing this exciting and varied series of books from such an eclectic range of talented authors and critics.